Course Duration: 1-2 years
Courses start: February 2006 & September 2006
Tuition Fee: € 1,495
Location: Leeuwarden, Netherlands
This programme is open to students who have completed at least two years of university level education in a business related subject and at least one year of relevant working experience. Students who have a bachelor degree in a different field, but who have working experience in a commercial organization may also apply The exact length of the study programme is determined for each student according to the prior education and experience. The programme provides an ideal step ping stone to Master’s degree courses.
Programme: Subjects and Adivities
Retail Major, Course description
Each semester has two modules. The compulsory semesters contain the following modules:
- Investing in People; develops your knowledge and skills in human resource management, management and leadership in a retail context.
- Partnerships in Retailing; develops your insight into how to
optimize the relationship between the retailer and suppliers and retailer and customers
- Strategy; develops your knowledge of the strategic management
process, management information systems and decision making processes in implementing strategy in a retail company.
- Research project; develops your, knowledge and skills in research methods and techniques. Students work in teams on projects such as feasibility studies or consumer trend analysis.
Minors and Optional courses
During the optional semester students can take a study specific minor or an open minor with a combination of different modules.
- Retail specific minor
European retailing; European retail formats and international retailing in a wider economic and social context. This module includes excursionst European cities.
- Entrepreneurship minor
Business consultancy and feasibility study for a(n) (own) company.
- Open minor
Students can choose modules from the CHN optional module programme, they can apply for a semester abroad at a partner university or take part in the CHN Global Campus entrepreneurship project in South Africa.
During this semester students gain further work experience both in business operations and in carrying managerial responsibility: Alternatively they can opt for a research project or an entrepreneurial project, setting up, running and winding up a company. In all cases students complete their studies with a graduation thesis.
Graduates take up management or head office positions in large retail or supply chain organizations, they are employed in import-export companies or work as trade consultants. Graduates are also well prepared for independent entrepreneurship. This course is an excellent preparation for a master’s study in the field of retailing, logistics, supply chain management, service management or business administration.
- High School Diploma from an accredited institution or secondary education; Associate Degrees, Diplomas, or BA in economics and non-economics fields.
- Completed at least 2 years of university level in business related
subject, and at least 1 year releveant working experience OR;
Have bachelor degree in non-economic fields and work experience in commercial organisation.
- TOEFL score 550 or IELTS 6.0
- Submit typewritten Motivation Essay (300-400 words) answering 5 given questions
- Submit Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume containing clear overview of education and work experience
- Undergo an assesment and personal interview.
*)Students who meet the academic entry requirements but who do not have sufficient, relevant working experience can follow a programme of 3 theory semesters and 2 semesters practical training (internship).